FOLLOWING THE MUSINGS OF A LONDON GIRL, WITH A LOVE FOR CANDID PHOTOGRAPHS AND SIMPLE AESTHETICS. SAY HI AT HABIN@HOTMAIL.CO.UK OR TWEET ME @HABIN_KIM.

Wednesday 7 September 2011

BEEN REVIEWING THE UPCOMING & UNRELEASED ALBUM OF

...The Subways- 'Celebrity and money'
Up until I was given the lucky opportunity to review the album (by Annie Fernandez) I had not heard a lot about The Subways. The Subways- I had surely heard of this band before? I was hit with that unruly feeling of recognising something but not being able to place exactly how- then I realised that their song 'We don't need money to have a good time' had been in my itunes for the last few months. I may be biased with having already fallen for this song before listening to the rest of the album, but to me this is by far the highlight of the album- a fun rock song with a 'Let's dance to joy division' (by The Wombats) type feel.
The band in general remind me a lot of The Wombats- one of my ultimate guilty pleasures. A couple of songs carry a hint of Funeral Party and Pigeon Detectives-"esque" vibes to them too, but what makes this band really stand out? The female vocals (Charlotte Cooper). However, I personally felt that the album had great melodies but was let down a lot by female vocals which didn't quite seem in sync. The album was disappointing in light of 'We don't need money to have a good time', but many of the songs turned out to be real feel-good listens- barring the three that I deleted immediately after one play.
The album is out on the 19th September and I recommend it for those with an interest in pop rock/alternative indie rock- but I am no music expert to say the least!
A taster to end with...

No comments:

Post a Comment